Skincare products are an essential part of any aesthetic treatment, enhancing and maintaining your skin’s health and appearance. Advanced skincare products address specific aesthetic concerns such as fine lines, acne, and hyperpigmentation. They’re also a perfect complement to procedures like chemical peels, laser treatments, and hydrafacials.
With the growing awareness of chemical ingredients in their skincare products, many people are now opting for “natural” ones instead. However, because the term isn’t regulated, many products claiming to be natural could very well contain irritating ingredients.
The skilled aestheticians at Napa Solan MediSpa can guide you on which skincare products are best for your complexion, including medical-grade versions that deliver scientifically backed results tailored to your needs.
The Difference Between Natural and Medical-Grade Skincare Products
The primary difference between natural and medical-grade skincare products is that:
- Natural skincare ingredients are found in nature and include plants and minerals like aloe vera, tea tree oil, and witch hazel.
- Medical-grade or synthetic skincare ingredients are either manufactured or altered from nature and can include retinoids, beta hydroxy acids, and SPF chemicals.
Let’s dig a bit further to help make your choice a little easier.
Formulation and Potency
- Natural products often have milder formulations. That makes them ideal for sensitive skin, but you might see slower results.
- Medical-grade products typically produce faster, more targeted results as they contain higher concentrations of active ingredients.
Regulation and Testing
- Unfortunately, natural skincare products are not highly regulated, so you could get conflicting information about product quality and effectiveness claims.
- Medical-grade products are subject to higher scrutiny. For instance, they must have clinical research to back up their claims. They also have FDA oversight for consistency and safety.
- Natural products only work on the outermost skin layer or epidermis. They do not penetrate the skin’s deeper layers.
- Medical-grade skincare products are formulated to reach the dermis, where collagen-producing cells live. This is the only way to effectively address skin concerns like aging, acne, and hyperpigmentation.
Cost and Accessibility
- Natural skincare products are available over the counter, making them a popular and affordable option.
- Medical-grade products tend to cost more, but because the active ingredient concentrations are higher, you need to use less product to achieve the desired results.
Book an Aesthetics Consultation Today
At Napa Solano MediSpa, we’re passionate about skin health and want our clients to enjoy the best possible version of themselves! We’re pleased to offer a full line of safe and effective Obagi skincare products formulated to minimize skin and sun damage, premature aging, hyperpigmentation, and signs and symptoms of rosacea.
To learn more about natural and medical-grade skincare products, get in touch with us today to schedule a consultation.