Maintaining clean and vibrant skin goes beyond washing and moisturizing your face. Other products, like clarifying serums, pore therapies, and hydrates, help support a healthy and glowing complexion. But before investing in a solution and applying it to your skin, it’s essential to know just what’s in those lotions and creams.
If you’ve ever shopped a beauty product aisle, it can be challenging to decipher the label ingredients and identify those that are harmful. Unfortunately, unlike the FDA, which regulates the foods that go into our bodies, no group regulates what we put on it. Yet, as most skincare products are absorbed into our skin, it’s important to carefully consider which solutions you use.
Napa Solano MediSpa offers a full range of aesthetic services that revitalize, enhance, and maintain your complexion. Our skilled professionals can guide you on the skincare product ingredients to avoid when making your selection.
Ask the MediSpa Team: Are My Skincare Products Safe?
In the U.S., skincare companies can use nearly any ingredient they wish, including those linked to allergies, hives, and cancers. Apps like Yuka help you decipher product labels and analyze health impacts. Here’s a short list of the products our aesthetic team suggests you steer clear of.
- Parabens. Often used as preservatives, parabens have been linked to hormone imbalance and breast cancer.
- Sulfates. SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) contains harsh detergents that can strip your skin of its natural oils and irritate your eyes and lungs.
- Fragrance. Synthetic fragrances may contain chemicals that cause allergic reactions and headaches.
- Phthalates. Used primarily in fragrances, phthalates are known endocrine disruptors that can cause birth defects and hormonal and reproductive problems.
- Retinoids. A synthetic form of Vitamin A, retinol is commonly found in anti-aging formulas. But it can cause skin irritation and sun sensitivity.
- Hydroquinone. Typically used in skin-lightening products, hydroquinone poses a toxicity hazard and has been linked to skin irritation and cancer.
- Alcohols. While cetyl, stearyl, and cetearyl alcohol can be beneficial, other alcohols can cause skin dryness and irritation, especially if you use them in high amounts.
Keep in mind that these ingredients can be safe when used in moderation and at appropriate concentrations. But it’s always good to be aware of them and do your own research before making a purchase.
Book an Aesthetics Consultation with Napa Solano MediSpa
Choosing the right skincare products can result in beautiful facial skin for life. Napa Solano MediSpa is proud to offer a full line of safe and effective Obagi products that minimize skin damage, premature aging, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, and signs and symptoms of rosacea.
Have questions or want to learn more about which ingredients to look out for in your skincare products? Our knowledgeable staff can help. Get in touch with us today to request a consultation.